Scholarship Rules
(Effective date January 2004)

How will I receive my scholarship?

The funds will be applied directly to your student account.

Do I need to re-apply for my scholarship every year?

No. Scholarships are awarded on a four-year basis. Assuming solid academic performance, your scholarship will be renewed for each of those four years.

Do I need to maintain a minimum GPA in order to keep my scholarship?

There is no minimum GPA requirement; however, in general we would expect a 3.5 GPA in appropriate Honors Mathematics courses and we will be reviewing your progress each semester. If at any time there are circumstances affecting your academic performance, you should make arrangements to speak with your scholarship advisor in order to discuss the situation. The scholarship committee realizes that college life can be stressful, and that this stress sometimes manifest in grades which do not accurately reflect the capability of the student. An occasional "less than stellar" grade is nothing to worry about; a consistent pattern of them is.

How will you be reviewing my progress each semester?

You will meet with your schoalrship advisor at the start of every semester for a general discussion of how things are going, future course elections, curriculum planning, summer jobs/research opportunities, etc. These meetings are meant to be mutually beneficial sessions to both help you develop an interesting and challenging curriculum and let us know how you are doing and where you are headed.

What if tuition increases? Will the amount of my scholarship be increased?

No. Your scholarship is a fixed amount, unless it is a tuition merit schoalrship. Tuition merit scholarships do increase with tuition raises. All other merit schoalrships are a fixed amount. If you find yourself in need of additional financial assistance you should contact Mr. Douglas Fletcher, administrator of LSA Merit Scholarships (6525 Haven Hall, 734-764-0324). You should also contact a member of the Mathematics Schoalrship Committee in order to discuss the situation.

What if I decide during the middle of my freshman year that I want to major in Computer Science? Can I keep my Mathematics scholarship?

As long as you are also majoring in Mathematics, that is fine. You must major in Mathematics in order to retain your scholarship. You are welcome to pursue a concurrent major in any subject you choose.

When should I declare as a Mathematics Major (or concentrator)?

You must declare no later than the start of your third semester.

What if I receive a $10,000 tuition grant from a source outside of the University of Michigan (company, organization, foreign government)? Will that affect my scholarship?

It might. Scholarship monies are expected to cover your tuition and cost of living expenses for the fall and winter semesters as calculated by of the Office of Financial Aid (the budget they use when determining financial aid awards). While we don't object to providing a little bit of "pocket money", scholarships are not intended to prove funding for expenses which are not directly related to your Mathematics studies.

Will I get money for the summer?

Usually not; in fact, most scholarship recipients spend their summers doing research or pursuing internships. Most summer research programs provide housing, travel and a small stipend (you will receive more informatio n about summer research opportunities during your meeting with a scholarship committee member). Should you find yourself in need of summer support, you should submit a request for summer funding which includes a detailed description of your summer activities and a proposed budget outlining your expenses. Please note that summer funding, when awarded, is generally for very small amounts.

What if I need more than four years to complete my degree?

Your scholarship will not be automatically extended. It is unusual for scholarship recipients to require more than four years to complete a degree, but should this be the case, you will need to discuss it with your scholarship advisor.

What if I decide to enroll in the College of Engineering (or any college other than LSA)?

You must remain enrolled in LSA in order to major in Mathematics, and thus in order to retain your scholarship. It is possible to pursue concurrent degrees in LSA and other U-M colleges (including Engineering), although this may require an additional semester or year of enrollment (see above).

What Mathematics scholarships are available?

This table provides a general overview of all the scholarships. It also links you to more detailed information on each, as well as application forms.

What if I have other questions? How do I get in touch with scholarship committee members?

Start with the Undergraduate Math Office, 2084 East Hall. Phone number is: 734-763-4223 and e-mail is:



Department of Mathematics   |   2074 East Hall   |   530 Church Street  
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1043
Phone: 734.764-0335   |   Fax: 734.763-0937

The page last modified Wednesday, 02-Sep-2015 15:25:55 EDT
Site errors should be directed to