Modeling Home

Math 227--01: Math Modeling---Syllabus & Course Info, Fall 1999

MWF 11:00-11:50A.M. in Olin 110
Final 10:30A.M. Thursday, 16 December

Instructor Info

Instructor: Dr. Gavin LaRose
Office: Olin 109A
Office Hours: M 1-3PM, WF 1-2PM + whenever I'm around and available.
Phone: 465-2208
E-mail: glarose@umich.edu
Web: http://www.mathcs.nebrwesleyan.edu/~glarose/
Class Web: .../classes/model
Grades: .../grades

Objectives

This is a course in problem solving and the applications of mathematics to the ``real-world.'' In addition, for this problem-solving and application of mathematics to be useful it must be effectively communicated. Our objectives are, therefore, by the end of the semester: Finally, Learning does not occur in a vacuum. We therefore also aspire to be engaged by the material we cover, and to have enjoyed learning through the course of the semester. The application of mathematics is, in my opinion, one of the neatest things about the subject, and I hope this semester that we will all be able to stop at various points and see this magical beauty.

Text

There is no text for this course. Really.

Quote 1

Keep high aspirations,
moderate expectations,
and small needs

--H. Stein

Assessment and Expectations

It is my objective to create an environment both in and out of the classroom in which you are able to and do learn as much as possible. As part of this I may collect copies of work that you submit, without attribution, for the purposes of assessing the success of the course at meeting its objectives (unless you advise me that you object to this). This is an unusual course, with little in the way of traditional assessment and assignments. Because of this, what you are able to take away from the course depends to a vast extent on the amount of work that you are willing to devote to it.

Plan on working for this course. Education is not a commodity that you purchase, but an opportunity to which you gain access, and which you can take advantage of (by working) or squander.

Policies

Evaluation

50% Written Reports (about 5)
25% Oral Presentations
15% Problem Solving Exercises
10% In-class work and Preparation

ADA Information

``NWU seeks to maintain a supportive academic environment for students with disabilities. To ensure their equal access to all educational programs, activities and services, Federal law requires that students with disabilities notify the University, provide documentation, and request reasonable accommodations. If you need accommodations in this course, please notify me so that I can verify that the required documentation is filed with the Academic Affairs Office and that your accommodation plan is in place.''

Quote 2

You have to respect someone who can spell Tuesday, [Rabbit said,] even if they can't spell it right. --A.A. Milne

Academic Integrity

is one of the basic principles of a university community. Nebraska Wesleyan therefore both encourages and expects the highest standards of academic honesty from all students. The Student Code of Conduct states that ``cheating, plagiarism, or other forms of academic dishonesty'' are subject to disciplinary action. Refer to the Student Code of Conduct for additional information. Any student who violates these principles of academic integrity will fail this course.

Web Stuff

I endeavor to make use the Web to facilitate the availability of information that you need to succeed in this class, that makes it easier for you to determine how things are going in the class, and, most importantly, to assist your learning in the class. To this end, all

Quote 3

And then this Bear, Pooh Bear,... in fact, Pooh himself---said something so clever that Christopher Robin could only look at him with mouth open and eyes staring... --A.A. Milne

Quote 4

Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth try. --James A. Michener
Gavin's Modeling Syllabus, Fall '99
Last Modified: Sun Aug 22 15:38:44 CDT 1999
Comments to glarose@umich.edu